Monday, February 4, 2013

Meeting with Jehovah's Witnesses: Motives and Aspirations

On Saturday, two Jehovah's witnesses came knocking at our door.  They were wanting to talk to me about Satan.  It has probably been about four years since the last time we have had any JWs over, and I am always interested in talking about important subjects.

I invited them in, but they didn't stay too long.  They asked me what I though about Satan, and I told them I thought it was a construct made up and often employed for the purpose of control.  They shared a verse with me about what Jesus said about Satan in the book of John and gave me some pamphlets.  When they asked if they could come back next week, I said "Sure, same time is fine." After they left, Gabe asked me why they were here.  I explained that they believe something different than I do, but they care about us and want us to believe the same things they do.  "What things?" he asked.  "Well, they believe there is a magic person who tries to make people do bad things."  I explained that we all are responsible for our own actions and that there is no magic person who makes us do thing against our will.

Most people wouldn't even think about inviting them back for more study, so it is probably worth it to explain why I would do such a thing, and why I would want to write about it.  First, I find it hard to pass up a chance to talk to people about what's important.  Secondly, I am interested in what they have to say.  I don't expect either party will change their mind, but I can at least listen, share my difficulties, and see what they have to say.  I want to make it clear though that I am not trying to mock or take advantage of them.  I will tell them up front they are unlikely to change my mind, but that I am open to hearing what they have to say.  I care deeply about truth, as I hope they do, and conversing with people who disagree with you is often a good way to move towards the truth.

As far as for writing, the main reason is that I think people might be interested.  The JWs are pretty ubiquitous, and others might want to know what a study is like.  I want to both chronicle my experience and to show the arguments that they use.   Hopefully it will be both entertaining and informative.

Expect a post every week or so, they are coming on Saturday mornings.  I suspect they will want to bring everything back to a bible study, and that the first conversation might involve the alleged Hebrew Bible prophecies of Jesus.  This is just a guess though, judging from what info I have been able to glean from their website.

I guess we'll see.  It's going to be an adventure.

1 comment:

  1. JW have become a religion known better for what they don't do, like not celebrating holidays, not taking blood transfusions, or not saluting the flag.
    They also claim to be persecuted by the nations, yet they claim 'charity status' and live tax free in most Western countries.

    The origin of all Watchtower teachings that makes them unique over all other religions is their creed of Jesus second coming 'invisibly' in the year 1914.

    For background critical information on Jehovah's Witnesses beliefs and practices browse my blog.
    Danny Haszard FMI dannyhaszard(dot)com

    ReplyDelete